Keene Idol is an amateur singing competition based on the popular television competition, American Idol. Since 2003, local busisnesses have sponsored this event to benefit AIDS Services for the Monadnock Region. Contestants are amateur singers. There are two categories of entrants - Youth, ages 7-14 and Adult, ages 15 and above. Auditions occur late spring . Details on the audition process are listed on the Keene Idol website. Audience participation happens live and on YouTube. In-house audience votes and online YouTube views will determine which contestants advance to the next elimination round. In-house audience votes count toward 70% of the contestant’s total score; YouTube views as of 12:00 pm on the Friday following a live performance account for the remaining 30%.
In weeks 2, 3, 4 and 5, the four adult contestants receiving the lowest total score are invited to the stage for a “Live Save.” The Coaches choose two contestants to perform live and one of these contestants remain in the competition. In the event of a tie at any level of competition, the show producers add one point to the final score of any one contestant of their choice. The producers’ decision is final.
The contest is held in the summer over five weeks and the winner is awarded a $2000 prize. Second and third place winners receive cash and prizes.This popular event is often sold out so buy tickets early for fun times and a good cause!